
~Leider ist es so lange gedauert zu schreiben!
We're here. It was a long trip, we left Chicago at 7pm on Tuesday March 16 and arrived in Frankfurt after a layover in London at 1:30 pm on Wednesday March 17. Then we drove 2-3hrs north of Frankfurt in our nice little diesel minivan, to Hannover. All of which was quite the experience. I had to stop once to sleep because I was so exhausted, otherwise the autobahn was quite nice traveling.
We've made our little apartment into a nice home (200 sqft or so). You'll see some pictures below. It's quite snug! The weather has been spectacular 10-12 C, which must be close to 50 F. The trees have buds, and the grass is starting to grow, I don't think there could be a better time to be here. This is the kitchen, about 5' x 5', the toaster and what you see is almost everything we have. There is a small sink attached to two electric irons, with a 2' fridge below it.
Here's Alex's and Adele's bed, and you'll be surprised to note that our bed isn't any bigger, and there's only two of them. One for the kids and one for us:)
Thursday we took advantage of our last day with the rental car and drove out to Hameln. The city best known for "The Pied Piper of Hamelin". Only a few miles out of Hannover was the same beautiful farmland we'd seen on the way from Frankfurt to Hannover. The communities are all very tight and close together. No urban sprawl! They are beautiful, quaint little towns with small 3-5 story, narrow and tall homes. Hameln was great, we took some of the pictures below that show the old buildings.
There are so many great little bakeries, and oh the bread is tasty, so are the hotdogs or bratwurst / krakenkauer.
Notice the left wall of the McDonald's building, it's certainly not straight, and the building is probably from the 1500's. You can see Allison in the bottom right hand corner of the picture.
The kids found these formation in the street to be a perfect playground.
Yesterday we met up with Scott and Elly Fryer at there place near downtown Hannover, it's a nice little apt. on the 4th floor of a typical older area of town. After ward we all went to the messe station and had dinner. For me it was a nice big Krakenkauer. It is incredibly busy at the main train station. The streets and subways are busy with 10's of thousands of people, all in pursuit of happiness:)
We love you all!
ben
11 comments:
WHAT????!!!!! We seriously need to talk. How long are you guys going to be there? I'm planning on spending at least 2 weeks in HANNOVER in the fall or at the beginning of next year. AHHHH!!! I will find out in two weeks if I got a job I applied for in France. If I did, I plan on flying over Sept. 1st and staying until April or May. I've been planning on going to Hannover during one of my breaks to do research on a family line of mine that currently ends there. This is crazy! You better write me and let me know what your plans are, ASAP! givemethatmountain (at) gmail (dot) com.
PS I've been studying German at UVU in preparation for this trip for the last 7 months or so.
Glad to see we aren't the only totally crazy people out there. Too bad our foreign experiences aren't a bit closer. Sorry I never got back to you before we left, but now I see that you understand. Our kids are sharing a bed too. Makes for some very exciting late night de-tangling. Can't wait to check out your next adventure.
I love the shot of Allison pushing Alex in the stroller with the beautiful German buildings in the background.
What an amazing adventure. I'm so happy for you guys and I'll admit a little jealous too :)
I seriously would love the details of all the planning and figuring out and such... Paul might have the chance to do an overseas rotation in his last year of pharmacy school but I don't know how you'd even begin to figure out the logistics of such a thing with a family?!
OK I feel like an awful friend! I had no idea you guys were moving to GERMANY! Didn't you just move to Indiana recently? What an adventure. What took you guys out there? How long will you be there? Miss you guys!
Glad you made it safely! Looks like you'll have to get creative with the cooking. What a fun little adventure!
Hello McFly! I didn't know you were going all foreign on us! How long are you going to be there?
Wow, 200 square feet! I thought that our 550 square foot studio apartment was small. Sounds like you guys are in for an awesome adventure. Your pictures are beautiful.
Wow! You guys are such awesome adventurers! I can't believe how small your place is, but what an adventure!!!
You'll have to call us and tell us all about it when you get back!
Wow! You are in Germany we can't believe it! We are glad that everything is going well and you are enjoying the surroundings. Sorry about the bed situation. Crazy! We love you and miss you.
Oh my gosh...that looks SO COOL! I am totes jels (totally jealous). I was very glad to hear that you guys made it safe. So, I can't wait to hear all the culture stories...things they say, they way the crowds are, what people do for fun, etc. Hope you have a fun time, and we love you guys!
Andrew and fam
Post a Comment