As part of his calling as ward mission leader, Ben has the responsibility to oversee the teaching of the Gospel Principles class. This past week, as part of his lesson and while trying to draw everyone’s thoughts to the true Spirit of Christmas, he talked about the greatest gift we have received, and how we can (and should) share the “glad tidings of great joy.” We have been so blessed to have testimonies of the gospel of Jesus Christ, and we have a mandate to share our testimonies and knowledge with all the earth. Ben shared this scripture:
“Verily, I say unto you that ye are chosen out of the world to declare my gospel with the sound of rejoicing, as with the voice of a trump.
Lift up your hearts and be glad, for I am in your midst, and am your advocate with the Father; and it is his good will to give you the kingdom.” Doctrine and Covenants 29:4-5
Our hearts are lifted, and we are glad this holiday season. We have so much to be grateful for, not the least of which are the extraordinary relationships we share with friends and family.
Benjamin is truly wearing himself out in the service of the Lord, much to his family’s delight. His (and frequently, our) weeknights are filled with dinners with the missionaries and investigators, service projects, home teaching visits, reactivation visits, new member lessons, cottage meetings, ward missionary planning and correlation meetings, ward activities, as well as his “nights off,” when he figuratively and literally wrestles the kids to bed with me. I typically provide the culinary support for all his missionary endeavors, and we can definitely see the spiritual fruits of our labors. We have decided that Ben will attend graduate school in the fall, seeking a Masters in Business Administration, and as of this posting has been accepted to Purdue and MSU and waitlisted at Duke.
I (Allison), as before stated, have been significantly broadening my gastronomic repertoire. Sometimes, it seems that a plate of buttery and sugary extravagance is the only way to open a reluctant door in our ward. And, when the missionaries expect to be fed every Thursday night, and we have some of the same missionaries for six-plus months, what is to be done but delve into a Better Homes and Gardens cookbook? Thankfully, Ben is patient and not at all picky. As for the kids, it doesn’t much matter what’s on their plates; if they’re hungry, they eat it, if they’re adversely inclined, they don’t. I have also been spending much time reading/editing essays and going over application materials and universities’ websites. I’m so happy we’re going back to school I could burst. But then again, it’s no secret that I’m somewhat of an academic glutton (aka book nerd).
Adele is two and a half, and has a mind of her own. This is quite a comfort when it’s not extremely trying. She can now “help” with dishes, put on lipstick and deodorant by herself (!!!), recite a few books by heart, sing a number of primary songs, put on her own clothes (when she is of a mind to), and scream like a banshee. We get along well enough, especially when she’s asleep.
Alex is our sweet little guy (14 months old). He is just about to walk, about at that stage where he’ll walk in-between furniture and with his hand along the wall. He takes pleasure in eating, looking at Christmas lights, seeing cats and dogs, waving to strangers, talking (sucking) on the “uffff” (phone), snatching daddy’s glasses, and growling like a lion at his mommy, who in turn pounces on him, with much growling and giggling as a result.
We enjoy and are constantly challenged by parenthood. The children make it so that our lives, while varying little from day to day, are never boring. We love Adele and Alex.
When Christ came the first time, there was “a multitude of the heavenly host praising God, and saying, Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, good will toward men.” When he comes again, we hope to have been some of the multitude of earthly hosts, who prepared the way with our humble efforts, praising God and sharing the gospel “with the sound of rejoicing, as with the voice of a trump.”
That we may all “lift up [our] hearts and be glad” as we share the good news of Jesus Christ is our prayer,
Benjamin, Allison, Adele and Alexander Crockett
a few notes from dad:
As you’ll be able to discern, Allison wrote our newsletter to the family, friends, and co-workers. She has an incredible talent to put life into words, and even more-so to inspire life and living in our little family. For her I’m deeply grateful! I think she fulfills the most challenging responsibility on the earth, that of a young mother, and all you young mothers, once young mothers now turned grandmas, and fathers as well, know precisely what I mean. Allison’s days are filled with purchasing, stocking, washing, cooking, temper-tantrum resolving, long nights filled with sometimes what seems like endless crying, and the list goes on. I once thought I was a pretty patient dad at least maybe when Adele was 5-weeks old, now I’m learning otherwise and I have plenty of room for improvement. And yes I know all of you who are more seasoned than I am are saying to yourselves “just-wait”, teenagers and so on. At the same time I never realized how much I would love my wife and sweet children. Though some days are long, the little smiles, kisses, hugs, nursery-songs, children’s books, walks to see rabbits and pick blackberries, and general fascination and curiosity with everything from Tupperware to flowers, make this stage of life so wonderful and one that is passing all too quickly. This year has been one of learning, stretching, and achieving new goals. I was notified almost 60 days ago that the manufacturing plants my team managed were shutting down and that we would all be laid-off by March of 2009. Due to the fact that this seems common today, many of you understand the stress this can facilitate. Needless to say, I was fortunately already planning on returning to school and was in mid-stride making preparations to apply when the announcement was made. God’s hand has once again been tender in our lives. To All a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
1 comment:
Hey guys, remember me? You should have an 8x10 picture of my face hanging in your house somewhere!
I got your Christmas card and it had your blog address so I thought I'd check you out. I must say that you two do a good job making babies. Keep up the good work!
Happy Holidays to you and I hope you have a splendid new year!
Post a Comment