An alle unsere Freunde und Familie...
I'm going to post some of our best photos with only a brief heading, I might even venture into posting a video:) But let me put this challenge into perspective, I've taken nearly 1,000 photos and many of them have turned out! Neither you or I really have time to see them all here, but then again I hope you could see many of them at some point.
So scroll down and enjoy. As for a brief update life has been a whirl! We've visited a number of places through Germany, most recently Allison and I returned from Bern, Switzerland through France, and Heidelberg, Germany late on Monday night. I attended classes and study groups all day Tuesday and Wednesday. Wednesday and Thursday night Allison had arranged for Scott and Elly Fryer to watch Adele and Alexander, and so we took off in a rental car to Bad Harzburg, a beautiful town in the Harzs mountains. **Scott and Elly are saints! Allison and I had a wonderful time, we did something we haven't done for several years, we hiked around 26-28km or around 16+ miles round trip to the top of a mountain called Brocken. By the time we returned we were both, shall we say a little tender, but we couldn't waste any of this precious date time so we drove 45km to Quedlinburg, to have dinner and to see a 10th century kirche / castle. It would take me more time than I'm devoting at this point to pen words that describe the visit, and really not just this visit but everywhere we've been from Switzerland to Celle, Germany and everywhere in between. As for dinner in Quedlinburg, it was more than interesting. The only recognizable dish on the menu was Fisch. So Allison ordered it, and I went out on a limb and ordered something else, for me a surprise. Well my plate was a nice cooked piece of roast with a tasty salad, Allison on the other hand was served two raw fish fillets that stretched from one side of her plate to the other and had a white sauce, and potatoes on the side. The fish was cold enough that it could have been plucked out of the creek next door for all we know:) We were in a very nice restaurant and after attempting to order it was clear that my (Ich spreche sehr wenig Deutsch) was an under statement. Every one was watching us at that point and since our mothers taught us to eat every thing on our plates, and we echo the same message every night at dinner to our two little ones, we did just that. Allison took half my roast, and and I took one of the fillets! Yep, and guess what it tasted just like fish! Except it was cold and mushy....it took us about 4hrs of concentration to not remember the texture in our mouths, but it really tasted good. I admit I was afraid between one of us we might have lost our dinner in not a pleasant way!
We returned Friday morning and I had class / study groups all day. I know this is only glimpse of everything we've done. Our trip to Bern was most spectacular, there really never is anything quite like family and friends, Adele and Alex loved being with Brett and Kaylee's kids, and were in heaven the whole trip! Allison and I likewise had a wonderful time.
Now the pictures....I will start with the newest and move down to the older pictures...
The leaves are starting to grow and many trees are in bloom.
5 comments:
I almost threw-up a little in my mouth just reading about eating that fish, I don't think I could have done it. High fives to you two!!
I'm glad you are having such wonderful and memorable experiences!
Allison, my email address is givemethatmountain (at) gmail (dot) com. Please do write me. We have a lot of catching up to do, and I need some advice on where to set up camp in Hannover when I come hunting a certain Karl Ludwig Peter Juergens. He's my Grandmother's great-grandfather, and kind of a mystery to me. Also, I second the hanging out part. Ich liebe dich, Schwester.
Wow you guys are awesome! I don't know if I could've touched the fish! That's really funny that she ended up with the more bizarre dish even though you had no idea what you ordered. Crazy. Glad you guys are having such a great time!
What a fun time you are having!! Chloe recently, and suddenly, has been thinking a lot about you guys. She has been talking about her two cousins and asking to see you. Do you guys skype?? I blew up an 8X10 picture of Chloe, Alex, and Adele (one we took at the zoo last year) and framed it and hung it on her wall at eye level. It makes her happy. :)
I am so glad for you guys having so much fun on this wonderful trip! I too would NOT have eaten the fish. You both are so brave!
We are looking all over for jobs right now, and we have no idea where we will be in the next year. Hopefully closer to you guys! We miss you!! XOXoXo
Hi you guys! Glad you made it home eventually. Drop us a line or check in in a couple of months at our blog - I haven't posted in awhile and don't plan on it for awhile, but when I do, then frequently.
thequinn-tessentials.blogspot.com
Or here is our email: quinn@schulzefamily.de
Post a Comment