Wednesday, March 18, 2009

So We're Moving to Nebraska!

Yup.  We're headed out to Omaha at the end of this month.  Actually, Allison will be in Utah for a month, and then will join Ben out in Nebraska.  Ben's new job at ConAgra foods starts on March 30.

A few facts about Nebraska (for those of you who are wondering, what's in Nebraska?):

Capitol: Lincoln (changed from Lancaster, and named for the President, who had just been assassinated at the time)
Biggest City: Omaha
Admission to the Union: March 1, 1867
93 counties and two time zones
 Panorama Point, at 5,424 feet (1,653 m), is the highest point in Nebraska; despite its name and elevation, it is merely a low rise near the Colorado and Wyoming borders.
Has more miles of river than any other state.
Is trebly landlocked.  If you don't know what that means, you should look it up because it's pretty cool.
Receives 25 to 35 inches of snow annually.
Eighty-nine percent of the cities in Nebraska have fewer than 3,000 people.
The largest single denominations by number of adherents in 2000 were the Catholic Church (372,791), the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (128,570), the Lutheran Church - Missouri Synod (117,419) and the United Methodist Church (117,277).  Not for long.  Nebraska hasn't met Ben Crockett yet.
State motto: Equality before the law (that's comforting.)
Slogan: Nebraska, possibilities...endless.  (No, really, that's it.  Is it telling that both the motto and slogan for Nebraska are sentence fragments?)
state animal: White-tailed deer (mmmmm, good eatin')
Insect: European honey bee
Tree: Cottonwood
Flower: Goldenrod
Beverage: milk (I'm serious.  It says on wikipedia.  Ben might really start to think this is paradise, what with milk and deer...)
Dance: Square dance (now we're talkin)

That's about all I have time for right now.  Call me in six months and check out my accent.  And wish us luck on our move!

9 comments:

Alicia said...

Wow what a move! Good luck in moving, your new job, and getting to know the area and people! We'll miss visiting you when we go to WA-too bad it didn't work out last time! =(

Zachary, Christen, and Chloe said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttPE_l2Y5LU

THIS will tell you all you need to know about Nebraska. I have one correction to the question of the state drink. I believe the correct answer is Koolaid.

That is my favorite clip (above) because Zach has told me each of those things on multiple occasions, as reasons Nebraska is a wonderful place. He is serious!
LOL!!

I am really excited to see you when you get here!

Cathryn said...

Ooo, I love driving through Nebraska! The rolling green hills are beautiful in my opinion. Also, the generosity and goodness of Midwestern people can't be beat. Good luck with everything!

Marie Lefler said...

Good luck with the move! Hope all is well and hope we are able to see Allison and the kids while they are here. It would be nice to have the kids play together.

I am looking forward to hearing your accent as well! Have fun!

lizzie said...

I thought Nebraskans didn't have accents (or had the mildest of accents) and that there are a lot of call centers in Omaha for that reason.

Good look with the move. I do not envy you having to pack up everything and get it half way across the country. But I'm sure it will be no problem for you.

Rachel said...

I was wondering where you guys would be headed. You know, the Counting Crows wrote a song about Omaha, Nebraska. It's a pretty good song. Good luck with all the moving, and Allison and I will have to hang out while she's in Utah.

Gabriella said...

That's awesome! Remember I'm from Omaha? My family would love to adopt you guys, let me know where your living, I have millions of family members there. You'll love Omaha, it's a great place, nice people, other than the weather it's great. Seriously though my parents would help you with anything you need, they live on a lake with tons of fish and fun things to do, I'm sure your kids would love to visit. Let me know!

Anonymous said...

Way to go Ben & Allison!!!

Our pediatrician moved from there and my cousin Matt Smith served his mission in Omaha.

We will have to stop and see you if we are out that way while you are there.

Let us know when you are in Utah.

- The Bryce's

sara said...

You'll love the midwest! Although Nebraska isn't as exciting as say, Minnesota, it still has it's charm. On road trips I tend to call it the longest state in the union because it doesn't seem to end, but it's green and has seasons which is more than I can say for Vegas. Have so much fun!